Our annually published Journal is ALSO. In 2013, we moved to digital copies only and editions since then are available below in downloadable .pdf format:
- 2022 –The Day Job
- 2021 – Parody: The Writer in Lockdown
- 2020 – 20:20 Vision
- 2019 – When Writers Attack
- 2018 – Unreliable Narrators
- 2017 – Lost, Found or Fakes
- 2016 – Literary Scandal
- 2015 – Literary Places
- 2014 – The Literary Fantastic
- 2013 – Humour in Literature
Journal themes 2007 to 2012 (not available electronically):
- 2012 – Fashion in Literature – including articles on Fitzgerald and Kerouac, Charles Dickens, Virginia Woolf, and more
- 2011 – Lost in Translation – exploring various issues with translating text and including John Clare, P G Wodehouse, Angela Thirkell and George Eliot.
- 2010 – Regional Writing – opening with an article by Ronald Blythe and including pieces on H E Bates, George Borrow, Elizabeth Gaskell, Arthur Ransome, and Sir Walter Scott.
- 2009 – Beyond Text – including a piece by the late Aeronwy Thomas, on musical accompaniment to poetry, and articles on The Phenomenon of the Classic Serial, Finding Words for the Forest: John Clare in Fineshade Wood, The Austen Effect, ‘I Am Doors’ (an arts project), and Reaching Towards Meaning.
- 2008 – Literary Tourism – including articles on Haworth Village, John Clare’s Cottage, Knutsford as Cranford, Mark Rutherford’s Bedford, the Nancy Blackett, Neil Munro and Laurence Sterne.
- 2007 – Copyright and Censorship – including articles on Betjeman, Henry Reed, John Clare, Parson Woodforde. George Borrow, and Wyndham Lewis.
The journal theme for 2023 is ‘‘BETTER DROWNED THAN DUFFERS’: Adventures by Land, Sea, Air and Imagination, and we are inviting members of our associated societies to submit articles for this (see more detail in the 2022 edition via the link above).
We have a style guide to follow: A Quick Guide to Submitting an Article for ALSo, the journal of the Alliance of Literary Societies – downloadable from this link. Submissions (and any questions) can be submitted to the Editor at firstname.lastname@example.org.