Our annually published Journal is ALSO. In 2013, we moved to digital copies only and editions since then are available below in downloadable .pdf format:
- 2021 – Parody: The Writer in Lockdown
- 2020 – 20:20 Vision
- 2019 – When Writers Attack
- 2018 – Unreliable Narrators
- 2017 – Lost, Found or Fakes
- 2016 – Literary Scandal
- 2015 – Literary Places
- 2014 – The Literary Fantastic
- 2013 – Humour in Literature
Journal themes 2007 to 2012 (not available electronically):
- 2012 – Fashion in Literature – including articles on Fitzgerald and Kerouac, Charles Dickens, Virginia Woolf, and more
- 2011 – Lost in Translation – exploring various issues with translating text and including John Clare, P G Wodehouse, Angela Thirkell and George Eliot.
- 2010 – Regional Writing – opening with an article by Ronald Blythe and including pieces on H E Bates, George Borrow, Elizabeth Gaskell, Arthur Ransome, and Sir Walter Scott.
- 2009 – Beyond Text – including a piece by the late Aeronwy Thomas, on musical accompaniment to poetry, and articles on The Phenomenon of the Classic Serial, Finding Words for the Forest: John Clare in Fineshade Wood, The Austen Effect, ‘I Am Doors’ (an arts project), and Reaching Towards Meaning.
- 2008 – Literary Tourism – including articles on Haworth Village, John Clare’s Cottage, Knutsford as Cranford, Mark Rutherford’s Bedford, the Nancy Blackett, Neil Munro and Laurence Sterne.
- 2007 – Copyright and Censorship – including articles on Betjeman, Henry Reed, John Clare, Parson Woodforde. George Borrow, and Wyndham Lewis.
The electronic editions of ALSo are available to purchase as a print-out (if you are unable to download them from the above). Members of the our affiliated societies £5 per copy; and £9 to non-members (including postage and packing). The 2007 to 2012 editions are available as printed journals – for £9 per copy including postage and packing.
Send your name and address, indicating which edition(s), along with a cheque (made payable to The Alliance of Literary Societies) to the ALS, 59 Bryony Road, Birmingham B29 4BY.
The journal theme for 2021 is ‘Parody: The Writer in Lockdown’ and we are inviting members of our associated societies to submit articles for this (see more detail in the 2020 edition via the link above).
We have a style guide to follow: A Quick Guide to Submitting an Article for ALSo, the journal of the Alliance of Literary Societies – downloadable from this link. Submissions (and any questions) can be submitted to the Editor at firstname.lastname@example.org.